11 Best Free 3D Modeling Software for Beginners to Make 3D Printing Easier
Free 3D Modeling Software
The world of free CAD software is no-longer limited to 2D draftingapplications. As we’ll discover below, there is a wealth of exciting 3DModelling options available and many of these new solutions are focussing onmaking a previously complex solution much simpler and easier to use.* * *
11 Best Free 3D Modeling Software for Beginners to Make 3D Printing Easier
If you’re a beginner, however, you need a well-designed, easy to use andaffordable free software for 3D Modeling. In this post, we have a list of 11best free 3D Modeling software for beginners out there. We hope it helps.Blender is an open-source solution for 3D Modeling and many other designing-oriented purposes out there. It is one of the best free 3D modeling softwarehaving many powerful features that have gained attraction from both expertsand beginners when it comes to CAD. The best part of the 3D modeling tool isthat it can also be used for purposes like texturing, skinning, animating,many kinds of simulations, nonlinear editing etc.Notable features of Blender include Photorealistic rendering technology,thanks to the powerful engine in use, faster modeling through the use ofkeyboard shortcuts and Python scripting, animation toolset that’s very usefuletc. Also, the always-growing open-source community is awesome.Sculptris from Pixologic is the choice of experts and beginners when the mainfocus is on 3D sculpturing as well as 3D modeling. User Interface of the toolis so simple that you can start sculpturing with it, right away and you wouldnot have to look back. Pixologic has included some stunning features in thetool, by the way.For instance, you can toggle the navigation method between ZBrush navigationor standard navigation. Similarly, you have a vast collection of plug-ins tochoose when you want to enhance productivity. On top of all, the interface isthe best-noted feature.
Best 3D Modeling Software for Mac: 3D Printing with Mac OS
The list of the most used 3D design software for Mac (see below) is based uponour list of the 25 most popular 3D modeling programs. However, we excludedsoftware that is not available or not suitable for the Mac OS. This leaves uswith the ultimate 3D modeling list for Macintosh users.
17 Best Free 3D Modeling Software For Windows
This is a list of 17 Best Free 3D Modeling Software For Windows.A 3D model can be defined as a model which represents an object in a 3Dgraphical mode and the process of creating a 3D model is known as 3D modeling.3D modeling has evolved a lot with the growth of computer technology. It isnow commonly used in various industries, such as: Architecture, Medicalscience, Gaming, Animation, Film, etc.All these free 3D modeling software (except last two) are capable of creating3D models, you can use them to create complex 3D models easily with somesimple tools. Some of these software are also popular, open source, cross-platform, portable, provides 3D rendering support, etc. Some of them can alsobe used as 3D animation software and the last two are 3D Lego model designer.Let’s have a look at each of these software one by one.You can also check out these Presentation, flowchart Software and XML editorsoftware.Note: This article contains very small summaries of each of these software asthey provide a large number of features.
Free 3D modeling software 1: TinkerCAD
* Free CAD 3D modeling tool * Best for Beginners * Browser-based online app * Geometric 3D modeling * Made by AutodeskFor absolute 3D modeling beginners, Autodeskâs TinkerCAD is a great place tostart. The browser-based 3D modeling software lets you create geometrical 3Dshapes, save and share them online, and export them to .STL files when readyto 3D print. Though obviously a bit limited in terms of features (you wonâtbe 3D modeling a Michelangelo statue with this), TinkerCAD is excellent for,well, tinkering. And since shapes are the building blocks, users can graduallybuild up from simple to more complex or detailed forms. For inspiration,TinkerCAD offers some existing 3D shapes to start modeling with, as well as agallery of finished 3D printable models.
Free 3D modeling software 2: 3DSlash
* Free CAD 3D modeling software * Best for Beginners * Browser-based or available for Windows, Mac, Linux and Raspberry Pi * Geometric 3D modeling * Made by 3DSlashAnother great and free option for beginner 3D modelers is 3DSlash. Releasedjust last year, 3DSlash was designed specifically for non-designers of allagesâincluding kidsâto introduce 3D modeling concepts in a fun and game-like platform (in fact, 3DSlash is actually based on Minecraft.)In 3DSlash, users use common tools, like hammers or chisels, to shape three-dimensional blocks. The three-step process is intuitive, colorful, and fun,and in the end, the 3D model can be shared online, or exported to .STL for 3Dprinting. 3DSlash V2.0 has recently been released, and the website featuresextensive 3D modeling video tutorials that are definitely worth checking out.
Free 3D modeling software 3: 123D Design
* Free CAD 3D modeling app * Best for Beginners * Free download for PC, Mac and iPad * Geometric 3D modeling * Made by Autodesk123D Design is another free 3D modeling software option by Autodesk. Thoughslightly more advanced than TinkerCAD, 123D Design is still a very simple andintuitive 3D modeling and editing tool. There is a pretty extensive library ofpre-made 3D models that can be edited, as well as tools to create geometric 3Dcomponents from scratch. Like with TinkerCAD, finished 3D models in 123DDesign can be exported to .STL for 3D printing, or uploaded directlyShapewaysâ 3D printing service.
Free 3D modeling software 4: Sketchup
* Free CAD 3D modeling software * Best for Intermediate 3D Designers * Free download for PC, Mac, or Linux * Line and curve-based 3D modeling * Made by TrimbleMoving into slightly more advanced free 3D modeling tools is Sketchup.Originally owned by Google, Trimbleâs hugely popular Sketchup markets itselfas the âfriendly and forgivingâ 3D modeling software. It starts with asimple interface yet integrates a huge range of functional add-ons and tools.Users start by drawing lines and shapes, which can then be pushed and pulledinto a range of complex geometric 3D forms. Because of this line-based 3Dmodeling set up, Sketchup (and particularly its $695 Pro version) is popularamongst architects and engineers.Just because Sketchup is used by professionals and even educators, doesnâtmean itâs not a safe place to start for beginners, too. After all, itâstotally free to experiment with, and the website offers 3D modeling videotutorials to get you started. While Sketchup is a 3D modeling favorite, animportant note for makers is that you can only export 3D printable .STL filesusing in the paid version.
Free 3D modeling software 5: Blender
* Free CAD 3D modeling software * Best for Advanced or Professional 3D Designers * Free download for PC, Mac, or Linux * 3D Digital sculpting tool * Open SourceBlender currently holds the title for being the most powerful and the mostpopular free 3D modeling softwareâbut be warned, itâs not for beginners.Unlike geometric 3D modelers, Blender is a digital sculpting tool, making itideal for creating more organic 3D shapes. The program also offers a dizzyingarray of tools, giving its users complete design freedom: beyond creatingmodels for 3D printing, Blender can be used to create photorealistic videogame graphics, animated films, visual effects and more. Basically, if youârewilling to put in the time to learn it (which is made easier by the vastamount of forum discussions and tutorials created by the open sourcecommunity), Blender could be your 3D modeling choice for life.
Free 3D modeling software 6: 3DTin
Free 3D modeling software 7: Sculptris
* Free CAD 3D modeling software * Best for Beginner to Intermediate 3D designers * Free download for Windows or Mac * 3D Digital sculpting tool * Made by PixologicLike Blender, Sculptris is a digital sculpting tool, which makes it ideal for3D modeling organic shapes and textures just as you would with a physicalchunk of clay. In âsculptâ mode, users edit the mesh geometry of their 3Dshape, and in âpaintâ mode, they can use various brushes to createrealistic textures on the surface. Sculptris was designed to offer beginnersthe chance to experiment, get their bearings, and grow into their newfound 3Dmodeling skills. While a great option as a standalone product, advanced userscan also upgrade to ZBrush, Pixologicâs award-winning, professional 3Dmodeling software, which comes at the price of $795.
Free 3D modeling software 8: Meshmixer
* Free CAD 3D modeling software * Best for Beginner to Intermediate 3D Designers * Free download for Windows, Mac or Linux * 3D triangle mesh modeling * Made by AutodeskWhile all of the CAD modeling tools on this list support 3D modeling for 3Dprinting applications, Meshmixer is perhaps the most powerful in this regard,as it has features created specifically to facilitate the digital-to-physicalexperience. In particular, Meshmixer is extremely useful for correcting filescreated in other 3D modeling programs or imported from Autodeskâs 123DGallery, allowing users to 3D print with confidence. Along with previewing,refining and correcting existing 3D models, Meshmixer is a powerful tool forcreating organic 3D models from scratch using triangle meshes.To further facilitate the 3D printing process, Meshmixer supports many desktop3D printer models, or, users can choose to import their designs directly toShapeways, Sculpteo, or i.materialise to be professionally 3D printed anddelivered. Its latest iteration even has optimized tools for multimaterial 3Dprinting. In short, Meshmixer is a powerful and free 3D modeling tool forbeginners and intermediate designers who want to successfully bring theircreations into the real world via 3D printing.
Free 3D modeling software 9: FreeCAD
* Free CAD 3D modeling software * Best for Intermediate to Advanced 3D Designers * Free download for Windows, Mac or Linux * Parametric modeling * Open SourceFreeCADâs parametric modeling interface is ideal for engineers or moreadvanced product designers looking to make complex, functional, and real-life3D printed objects. Unlike standard mesh modeling, parametric (or procedural)modeling is a more algorithmic method that allows the object to be quickly andefficiently edited by accessing the model history and changing its parameters.FreeCADâs extensive range of professional-grade features also gives usersnearly unlimited design freedomâalbeit, it does come at the cost of a muchsteeper learning curve than most free 3D modeling tools. That being said,FreeCADâs large community is quite welcoming to new or inexperienceddesigners looking for a powerful point of entry to functional 3D design.
Free 3D modeling software 10: OpenSCAD
* Free CAD 3D modeling software * Best for Programmers * Free download for Windows, Mac or Linux * Parametric modelingLike all of the 3D modeling software tools on this list, OpenSCAD is areliable, free program for creating solid, 3D printable models. Unlike mostothers, however, OpenSCAD is a non-visual 3D modeling tool, making it idealfor coders rather than purely artistic types. Instead of visually molding,sculpting, pushing, and pulling 3D shapes on-screen, OpenSCAD works âlike a3D-compiler,â reading a script file written in programming language, andthen rendering a 3D model from that script.OpenSCADâs parametric modeling allows for easy editing and precise controlover the 3D modelâs properties. The program also allows 3D models to beexported to .STL format for easy 3D printing. OpenSCAD may not be foreveryone, but as one of the only non-visual 3D modeling tools, it fulfils animportant role in the market.
What is the best free 3D modeling software?
As there are many 3D modeling software available online, it becomes reallytricky to find the one that suits your needs the most. Especially if you are abeginner, you may have to try and test a few options before choosing the onethat is easier for you to understand.That is why it is always best to look for free software which gives you enoughhands-on experience to start designing the 3D parts. Once you are comfortableusing the tool, you can switch to paid versions for utilizing advancedfeatures as well.